Friday, December 13, 2013

Friday's List: 10 Favorite College Rock Songs

I have my lists of my favorite books coming, I promise. It's easier to find songs because I am obsessive about my iTunes categorization/playlists, and I can easily tell you my favorites. Books are harder for me to narrow down.

I have a playlist of exactly 149 "college rock" songs. Obviously, college rock is something I listened to in college (or high school, because when I was there I wished I was already outta there, foolish, foolish youngster). For some reason, I don't label Dave Matthews as college rock. Probably because he gets his own "Fave Dave" playlist of 100 songs, and this list is for the others. I realize this is completely arbitrary, but, well, it's my iTunes and I can do what I want to.

  1. It's Alright by Big Head Todd & the Monsters. This gets the No. 1 spot because it is one of my favorite songs of all time. 
  2. AFH by Slackjaw. If you went to U.Va. in the mid-90's and drank Natty Light on Rugby Road, you will remember them.
  3. Guinevere by Edwin McCain. That whole album, "Honor Among Thieves," is really good.
  4. Not Even the Trees by Hootie & the Blowfish. This song never hit it big like Let Her Cry and Time, but it is the best.
  5. Bright Lights by Matchbox Twenty.
  6. Three Marlenas by The Wallflowers.
  7. These Are the Days by 10,000 Maniacs. I realize this is the high school graduation anthem of the mid-90's, but that doesn't stop me from liking it.
  8. Down by 311. Tied closely with All Mixed Up.
  9. Please Don't Tell Her by Big Head Todd.
  10. Sample in a Jar by Phish.
I'm sure you have your own opinions ... Feel free to leave your additions in the comments. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment